'Making Slough Happy' BBC 2 TV series rounded up research on happiness. Do these for two months and see if they make a difference.
1) Get Physical - exercise for half an hour three times a week
2) Count your blessings - at the end of each day, reflect on at least five things you're grateful for
3) Talk Time - have an hour long uninterrupted conversation with your partner or closest friend each week
4) Plant something - even if it's a window box or pot plant. Keep it alive!
5) Cut your TV viewing by half
6) Smile at and/or say hello to a stranger - at least once each day
7) Phone a friend - make contact with at least one friend or relation you have not been in contact for a while and arrange to meet up
8) Have a good laugh at least once a day
9) Every day make sure you give yourself a treat - take time to really enjoy this
10) Daily kindness - do an extra good turn for someone each day